Search engine optimisation (SEO) is probably not one of the first things new businesses budget for. After paying for a website, premises, stock, insurance and anything else, there probably isn’t much left for marketing never mind internet marketing. So SEO is usually not considered as a priority – even if it makes it onto the “must consider” list.
Most big companies like Dixons, Marks and Spencer’s, Tesco’s understand that their website must be appealing and also be found easily. The size of their brand helps enormously. Everyone just types in their brand name and don’t need to search.
If you are a small business you might think that SEO is just for the big guys. You have probably heard that it is expensive, takes ages and there’s no guarantee.
Well I want to give you 5 reasons why SEO is for small businesses too!
1. Why invest in a website if it can’t be found on Google? If you have paid for someone to build you a website, then why not use it to drive business to your door? It’s not doing that on page 10 of Google. It seems a bit of a waste of money not to use it to market your business.
2. Being on page 1 of Google and Bing can take your business to the next level. Page 1 search results are believed to get around 70% of clicks, with page 2 about 4%. So moving from page 2 or 3 to page 1 can lead to a massive increase in traffic to your website. More traffic means more sales.
3. Being on page 1 of Google can get your brand noticed. Even if you are just a sole trader, being on page 1 looks like you are bigger than you are. This can help with leveraging your pricing. It can also make potential bigger clients take notice of you.
4. Your competitors are doing it. So if you decide not to then you are letting your competitors steal your customers.
5. It’s measurable. Unlike other forms of marketing like cold calling, leafleting, newspaper ads, SEO results can be measured. You can see exactly what you money is doing.
SEO doesn’t need to cost the earth. It is affordable if you consider if as part of your marketing budget. The return on investment is many times what you put in once you reach the heady heights of Page 1. The top 3 positions of page 1 receive about 50% of the clicks. Once you achieve these positions, the amount of enquiries accelerates. At this point you will appreciate investing in SEO.
If you want to let us take a look at your website to see what we can do then please get in touch. There is no obligation to go ahead.
Caroline Phillips is the owner of Alba SEO Services which offers quality SEO services to SME's. Established since 2013, Alba SEO has a track record of success.
You can follow Alba SEO on
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.